Alpha is designed to be a comprehensive childbirth class, so you will be prepared for your childbirth journey, whether that is in a hospital, a birth center, or at home. Expect to learn and be amazed by the process of pregnancy, labor, birth and the postpartum period in your Alpha Childbirth class.
In brief, what you can expect, week by week.
- Eating well for birthing well
- Exercise (and it’s not what you might think!),
- The Care Providers of Pregnancy and Birth
- Pregnancy Tips for Partners
- Homework! That’s right, each week of your Alpha class will include homework assignments. This helps you and your partner prepare for your birth, and to grow and nurture your own spiritual preparation relaxation tools for labor and birth
- The amazing process of labor and birth for mom, baby and partner
- Homework. Keep honing and developing your skills in time spent with the Lord, and in preparation with your partner
- You will learn many common labor and birth interventions, and their benefits and risks
- C Section procedure and VBAC preparation
- Challenges to normal labor and birth, including things such as Group B Strep Positive, breech positions, preeclampsia
- How to give Informed Consent and Refusal
- Homework! Keep working on skills outside of class time to maximize your skills for labor and birth
- Assume the Position! Labor and Birth Positions
- Everybody loves a massage. Practice massage techniques during class so that you can continue the practice at home and for labor!
- Labor Tips for Partners
- And what would a class be without Homework?
- Standard Newborn Interventions for Hospital Birth
- Beginning Breastfeeding from the first moment
- Primer on Breastfeeding for Mom, Baby and Partner
- What to Expect from your Newborn and how to Care for this new person!
- Circumcision for your Newborn
- What to Expect in the Postpartum time for Mom and Dad
Alpha group classes are set in casual settings where you will be free to ask questions, get one-on-one time with instructors and practice all the techniques that are taught. We will watch videos, share stories, and discuss your plans and options. Alpha instructors care for you, and will strive to empower you with your faith and facts so that you have the best birth experience for you!
Home Study Option
We are happy to offer Alpha as a home study option. If you are unable to attend a group class or there is not one yet offered in your area, this option may be for you. You will have the flexibility to work through the Alpha materials on your own time, alongside your birth partner.
If you decide to purchase the home study course, you will receive the same Alpha materials that a student in a class setting would receive: Alpha workbook and Alpha birthing room and bassinet signs. You will also have access to an Alpha instructor to follow up with any questions that arise during your home study time.
The cost for home study is $125, and is available in our shop.
Alpha is designed to be a comprehensive childbirth class, so that you will be prepared for your childbirth journey, whether that is in a hospital, a birth center, or at home. Your Alpha materials will consist of: a 180-page Alpha workbook and hospital signs for delivery and breastfeeding support. As an Alpha student, you will also have access to the Alpha Childbirth Community and Alpha Childbirth Dads groups on Facebook.